It comes as recruiters and hiring managers switch from face-to-face meetings to online interviews using apps such as Skype, Zoom and WhatsApp.
Online interviews also suit potential hires as they take up less time and are more convenient. - BBC News
At Aspire, we have been interviewing online for a while. Not exclusively, but increasingly so, and with the Black Swan event of Coronavirus, it's not just Covid-19 that is catching on.
Last week, we put a hold on all face-to-face interviews as a precaution against contracting and spreading the virus, and advised all our clients to do likewise. Indeed, many others have transitioned to online interviewing, which has many advantages over the traditional face-to-face model:
1. It's easier to organize as the candidate doesn't need to consider travel arrangements
2. It's more equal, as it should be. The client may be in their castle but the candidate is on the turf of their choosing. It's psychologically more constructive. As a result there are less nerves and therefore the client sees the candidate in their more normal state.
3. You have the ability to share screens so present ideas or examples of work is easy
4. It is less formal and more like a normal business meeting, so each party is more likely to see the 'real them'
It also has disadvantages such as:
1. If the job is based on site then the candidate doesn't get to experience the working environment or get a feel for the culture
2. The candidate hasn't made the commute
3. Humans are social animals so is the 'human connection' strong enough?
4. We shouldn't assume everyone has the technology or connection required to have a reasonable and fair opportunity.
In the post virus era, I predict that many will stay with online interviewing as normal.
You can read the original article here.
Attracting candidates to a career in events
Your foolproof Marketing recruitment process
8 Simple Hacks for Being More Productive and Mentally Healthy at Work
How to get promoted in a start-up with no hierarchy
How well do you signpost your company benefits?
What do our peers do during Ramadan?
Striking the right WFH balance for productivity
Mastering the STAR Technique for Interviews